Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Happy Birthday Baby Girl!!!!

Today is my baby girl's first birthday!  In honor of her, I am going to post my cake and frosting recipes that I used.  I decided to go with a gluten, dairy, soy free chocolate cake so we could all eat it.  I used duck egg in the recipe, so it isn't egg free but it is chicken egg free (which Silas can't have). 

Delicious Frosting

Ingredients:
1/2 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil (palm shortening, or softened earth balance butter or a mixture of all three)
16oz powdered sugar
2-4 T coconut milk (rice, soy, almond milk)
1-2 tsp gluten free vanilla
*1/4 cup cocoa powder (plus add a little more liquid or mixture will be too dry)
Add more milk (or water) or powdered sugar if your mixture is too dry or wet.  My whole family LOVES this frosting & it is creamy enough that the vanilla version can be used on carrot cake.

*leave cocoa powder out for vanilla frosting (or you can add another flavor to spice it up)


Chocolate Cake

I adapted my recipe for cake from food.com.  It is called "One Bowl Gluten Free Chocolate Cake."

Ingredients: 

1 1/2 c gluten free flour (I have used 1/2 c sorghum flour, 1/2 c white rice flour, 1/2 cup tapioca starch AND 2/3 cup white rice flour, 1/3 cup potato starch, 1/2 cup tapioca starch - I liked the second mix best)
1/2 c cocoa
1 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (I used xanthan gum)
5 T cooking oil (I used olive oil)
1 tsp gluten free vanilla
1 egg (or 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed & 3 tbsp hot water combined)
1 c water

Directions:

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl
Add all liquid ingredients and mix well (I mixed for about 2 minutes on medium speed.)
Bake in a greased and floured (I used organic extra virgin coconut oil and dusted it with white rice powder) 9" square pan (or lined with waxed paper), at 350 degrees, for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.


I can't wait to watch my baby girl dig in!  :o)  The cake smells wonderful, it is springy and it looks like a winner!  Happy birthday, Micaiah!!!!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the chocolate cake without vinegar and eggless (flaxseed instead) and it turned out wonderfully! It was sooooooooo good! We have a clear winner here, folks! :o)

    ReplyDelete