Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Gluten Free Sugar Cookies

Gluten free sugar cookies


45 min.prep time 2:25total time

3 1/2 dozen cookies

Ingredients


1 cup sugar

1 cup Land O Lakes® Butter, softened  (I used soy free Earth Balance Butter since we are dairy and soy free)

2 Land O Lakes® All-Natural Egg yolks  (I used ground flaxseed - 2 tbsp plus 6 tbsp of water)

1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla

2 1/4 cups Gluten-Free Flour Blend (see below)*

1/4 teaspoon salt

 


Combine sugar and butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add egg yolks and vanilla. Continue beating, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour blend and salt. Beat until well mixed. Cover; refrigerate until firm (1 hour).

Heat oven to 350°F. Roll out dough on surface sprinkled lightly with gluten-free flour, one-half at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 1/4-inch thickness. I actually roll my dough out in between saran wrap.  I do this with pretty much all my gluten free recipies (that require being rolled out) and it works every time.  I spray the saran wrap with canola oil or I use flour, depending on the recipe.  For this one, I believe I used white rice flour.) 


Cut with 2 1/2-inch star-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.


*  Gluten-Free Flour Blend: To make flour blend, combine 2 cups rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca flour and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum. Use appropriate amount for recipe; store remainder in container with tight-fitting lid. Stir before using.


for the flour, I used:
  • 1 cup rice flour
  • ¼ cup cornstarch
  • ½ cup tapioca starch
  • ¼ cup sorghum flour
  • ¼ cup potato flour
  • 1 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
The only reason I used the mixture that I used was because I ran out of rice flour and I do not own potato starch as of yet (still need to buy some).  So, I did my own little experiment & it turned out beautifully!  I want to encourage you to try your own mixture, esp if you don't have what the recipe calls for!  I almost always modify and do my own thing and I have never once had a flop yet (knowing a thing or two about what each gluten free flour does is important, though)!  Success every time (ok, I am sure the flop will happen one of these times, but for now I can boast of my success!)



Here is my link from Landolakes where I got my recipe:


No comments:

Post a Comment