Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Egg Substitutes

Before I forget, I wanted to share what we discovered about eggs/egg replacer!  While we were at Whole Foods, a sweet gentleman who works there shared a word with me about egg replacers!  He told me that the best thing he has found to work (and that is the healthiest substitute) is simply to puree a banana (until it is all frothy & light)! Just use that in place of an egg!  It adds lots of flavor and is packed with vitamins and all the good stuff that the egg replacer stuff just doesn't have and it helps hold things together like an egg does.  I have not found it to be an exact replacement, but then again, the egg replacer isn't exact either.  When I use it, my baking is very dense.  Anyhow, I am trying to perfect things with the banana & hopefully I will be able to share some recipes soon!

Update:
It has been a while since I wrote this.  I have found the best egg replacer to be ground flaxseed.  One tablespoon of ground flaxseed plus three tablespoons of water equals one egg.  Add the ground flaxseed with the water, and mix.  Let it set for a couple minutes, and then it is ready to use.

This does not work well in some recipes like brownies, meatloaf, quiches, etc.  Things like waffles in a waffle machine really don't work well without eggs, at least that has been my experience.  Experiment with it and have fun!  Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. I want to update this with a new finding. Flaxseed is the best egg substitute I have found! It works beautifully & is a healthy alternative to egg replacer.

    ReplyDelete