Friday, December 10, 2010

I just did a happy dance!

I have tried all sorts of mixes for cookies, as well as baking cookies gluten free from scratch.  Usually, Silas will eat them, but I take one bite & have to fight to swallow.  I am not sure if the problem is the texture or the taste (perhaps of the xanthan gum), but cookies have been the one thing Silas has really done without since he started his gluten free diet.  Well, that is about to change!  I have to rave about the cookies we made last night! The Betty Crocker Gluten Free Cookie Mix is fabulous!  I was so pumped about how the cookies turned out that I did a happy dance (with my husband as witness!)
The mix made moist, chewy cookies that don't crumble & fall apart like I have come to expect in gluten free baking.  I think all the Betty Crocker mixes are fabulous, so if you are looking for a quick & easy way to cook gluten free, THIS IS IT!  You don't have to buy the xanthan gum or all the separate flours if you use a mix.  Buying all the flours (you have to use at least 2 or 3 per recipe, sometimes up to 7 or 8!) can get very costly too and is a pain because then you have to store what you don't use.  I am not a "mix" type of gal, but I find the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Mixes to be very simple and close if not identical to ingredients I would use at home.  I don't see lots of weird words in the ingredients that I cannot pronounce, which I DO find in regular mixes. 
Here is a link to the wonderful Betty Crocker Mixes. http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/gluten-free-baking-mixes 

1 comment:

  1. I cannot get the picture to show up. Any suggestions how to make that work?

    ReplyDelete