Friday, December 10, 2010

Creamy Pumpkin Soup (Dairy & Gluten Free)

In Australia, we met a former chef from Greece.  I was only 11 years old, but to this day,  I remember the delightful Pumpkin Soup he made for us when he invited us over.  It became our favorite & we requested it every time we came to visit!  I can still remember the cozy feeling I had when I slurped it down and listened to his fascinating accent as entertained us with some tall tales.  Before we left Australia, my mom made sure to ask him for the recipe.  He laughed & told her how easy it was and that he didn't really follow a recipe!  It is hard to believe because it is so good, but it really is easy! 

Now, the soup isn't really made from pumpkins...in fact, it is really just squash and potatoes, but I think he called it that because Aussies call squash pumpkins or something like that. I hope I have that right!  The name has a certain ring to it, so we just continue to call it that even though it has nothing at all to do with pumpkins (although I have tried it with pumpkins for the squash, and it is lovely too.)  Here is my best attempt at describing exactly how I make it. 

One squash (1 1/4 lbs or so)
3 - 4 medium potatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 - 1 cup unsweetened milk substitute of your choice (we prefer Rice or Coconut milk)
1 tsp. onion powder (optional)
1 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
1 tsp. thyme or other herb of choice
salt
pepper

Cook squash and scrape flesh from peel after cooking.  You should have around 1 1/2 cups.  Peel potatoes then boil in water (put just enough in pan to cover them.)  In a blender or food processor, puree potatoes with the water they were boiled in) until smooth.  Set aside in a large heavy saucepan.  Puree squash with chicken broth until smooth.  If more liquid is needed, add water so that the vegetables can puree properly.  Pour into saucepan with pureed potatoes.  Add milk and spices (I like this soup with LOTS of pepper).  Cook on medium and stir until heated all the way through, but DO NOT BOIL. 

The soup is fantastic plain, but it is also awesome with meat added.  Ham or bacon (precooked) is delicious in it.  This recipe makes enough to be the main course for dinner!  Pairs perfectly with some rolls or homemade bread (see my delicious bread recipe) toasted & buttered with his Earth Balance butter.  Enjoy!!!


Other versions of this soup:

- substitute squash with:
broccoli
cauliflower

- add in while cooking (before blending):
a whole onion
1/4 a cup of celery and leaves
a clove of garlic
a handful of spinach



No comments:

Post a Comment